Hiring a web design company can be a daunting task. Here are three steps to make it a little easier.
- What are your internet goals. Setting your objectives is the foundation of any project and creating a web site is no exception.
- Create a “must have” list. For example it may be really important that your site include a blog or that it is configured so you can maintain it yourself.
- Got some ideas on the architecture of your site? Get out a pad of paper and pencil and create a rough sketch
- Don’t be intimidated to do a little research, e.g Check Godaddy to see if can you get the domain name you want.
- Get online and start browsing, bookmark sites you like, they don’t have to be in the same sector as your business or organization but this exercise will help determine what appeals to you and also enable to articulate your design preferences.
- Check out your competition
- Try a simple Google search for your area. Here are the results for St Louis web design.
- Word of mouth, ask members of your business network if there is anyone they can recommend.
- Found a web site you really like? Very often a web design company will have a simple link at the bottom of the site directing visitors to their web site.
- Draw up a shortlist of design companies you would be interested in meeting.
- Arrange to meet three design companies.
- The research you have already done will put you in a great position to talk about the specifics of your project.
- Do they seek to understand your business?
- Are they goal/objective driven?
- Do they listen?
- Ask to see a portfolio of their work. Does it show a diversity of style or does everything look the same?
- Do they know their limits or will they try and sell you “everything”
- Discuss the creative process they follow. Is it flexible?
- Do they seem like a good fit for your project, do you feel a connection?
- Will you enjoy working with them?
- Ask them to put together a comprehensive web design proposal which outlines all the specifics of your project, pricing and terms and conditions.
The contract is signed, the deposit paid and the project is well underway. Is it time to site back and relax? Next time I will talk about how to work with your web designer.
2010 © St Louis Web Designer