The old saying goes “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy” If all I did was work, work, work I know for certain my digital creativity would dry up. I keep my passion for web and graphic design alive by balancing work and play. You will NOT find my chained to my computer screen day and night. Oh, I also have no interest in having a data plan on my phone so I can check my email etc. where ever I am. When I step away from my computer I like to step away from the electronic world.
It seems however I am unable to step away from the creative world. Here are a few of the fun non computer creative things I have done in the last year.
- Invested in an SLR digital camera, while my photos are far from professional I did qualified for a profile on istockphotos.com
- Built some sand sculptures in the gorgeous white sands of Florida.
- Learnt how to tie the fantastic monkey fist knot
- Enjoyed the creative eye candy of down town Chicago. From the wonderful impressionist painting in the Art Institute of Chicago to the amazing reflections from “The Bean“
- Transformed a dungeon basement room to a teenage penthouse complete with painted skyline mural
- Made an igloo in the garden after the spectacular snow storm in February
- Got creative with food with some doggy cookies …for humans.
- Got inspired to buy some watercolor paints after discovering a painting I’d started at age 17 and never finished. Brushing up on some seriously lost skills!
- Planted a vegetable garden …that our resident garden critters enjoyed very much.
I am looking forward to many more creative adventures in 2012… digital or not.
©: 2011 Chicago web designer