If you, are like me, and read a lot of blogs, it is not a good use of time to visit your favorite blogs every day just on the off chance there is something new to enjoy. A far more effective way is to subscribe to the blog and have new content delivered to you as and when it is published.
For those of us who have been blogging for many years this may seem like second nature but there are plenty of people out there for this is a whole new arena.
On a well designed blog there will be a button looking something like this
which is the universal icon for RSS feeds – a file associated with your blog.
Clicking the button will lead you to a page like this
Once on this page you are offered an abundance of ways to receive the content from the blog. One of my favorite is Google reader, which sends the new content of all your subscribed blogs to a single page – you can visit this page or set up a simple widget on your Google home page which allows you to read your content from there.
If you prefer you can subscribe to receive content from your favorite blogs via email.
The St Louis Web Designer’s tip of the day!
2009 © St Louis Web Designer
Blogs are a great way to promote your services, improve your search engine ranking and provide a great way to interact with your readers.
Here are some quick tips to give your blog a boost and grow your readership
- Write it regualry – at least twice a week.
- Comment on other blogs- in the comments box there is often an opportunity to include your own website or blog URL.
- Title your blog posts with keywords you are targeting.
- Submit your blog to a blog directory such as blogcatalog
- Give your readers different options to subscribe to your content. e.g. sign up through a reader – try Goggle Reader or sign up to receive via email.
- Start a Twitter account and use it to promote new blog posts.
- Use a free pinging service such as Pingoat
St Louis web designers tip of the day!
Writing a blog takes commitment. Obviously there is the element of time it takes to write a post but there is also the commitment to deliver quality content and post regularly.
Today we are celebrating our 200th post!
A tool I have recently started using to read blogs is Google Reader Another great free application from Google, Google reader allows you to subscribe to your favorite blogs and then delivers any new posts to your iGoogle page via a widget. (For more information on iGoogle see this post). Using the reader allows you to keep up to date with the blogs that interest you and saves time from actually visiting the blogs.