A few weeks back I announced the launch of hardscapestl.com . The site offers a wealth of information for those looking to beautify their yard with a retaining wall, patio or any other hardscape project. For the client it is a highly targeted lead generation tool.
The secret of success for these types of web sites is in the planning stage.
Start by defining your user groups, give them names – it helps cement their unique attributes.
For the hardscape site we focused on three user groups:
- Those just starting to think about backyard upgrade and in the market for design ideas. – the Designer
- Individuals who are further down the buying path, know what they want and looking for someone to build for them. – the Do it for me
- Hard core DIYers who want to build themselves. – the Do it myself
Once you have your user groups defined how do you engage them. Each of your user groups are more than likely looking for different types of information.
- For the Designer it was all about ideas and we created custom slide shows of pavers and retaining walls.
- The Do it for me are itching to get their project underway. We provided information on finding and hiring a contractor and an excellent visualizer tool that enables them to view different products in situ.
- The Do it Myself user is interested in the more technical aspects and a custom designed project calculator application allows then to get down to the details of their project.
CALL TO ACTION
For lead generation web sites you want to capture pertinent information about the users. Requesting information is a balancing act, making users fill in forms, and jump though hoops for every scrap of information on a web site is futile. They will be hitting that back button in no time and trying a different site. It is a give and take process, give away some information but request contact details for others.
“Download our coupon” was our main call to action on the hardscape site, but we also tailored call to actions according to the user groups
- The Designer was offered project design tools, with download offered for free and a simple online form to receive product samples.
- Both Do it for me and Do it Myself we offered a free estimate
Understanding your user groups, how to engage them and capture their information is key in lead generation site.